Sometimes I exhibit a few manic characteristics. For instance, when I decide upon something--perhaps an errand or getting something cleaned up in my house--that task must be carried out on my timetable or I get a little upset/testy. A classic example of this happened today.
I had a few coupons I wanted to use at Costco that were about to expire. I had plans for dinner tonight with friends, Thursday was booked up, and the rest of the weekend looked sketchy. If I was going to use the coupons, I needed to do it today after work. A was working later than normal and wasn't coming home anytime soon.
Normal people would have said, "It's not a good idea to take five children--two of them only two months old--to Costco by myself. Oh well. I'll get over it." I am not normal, and therefore, disregarded this notion. I asked S if she thought she could push a cart by herself (with one of the babies in the cart) to leave room to fill up the other cart with purchases. She said she thought she could. I knew we'd be a spectacle, but I decided I didn't care.
We got to Costco and S proceeded to push the 2nd cart through the parking lot. Fifty feet away from the car, she started saying it was too hard and heavy to push. Knowing that to forge ahead would be suicidal, we turned around and went back to the car. But did I give up the adventure? No. I wanted to use those coupons, dangit!
We went back home (10-15 minute drive in traffic) and I grabbed the Snugli carrier. I could carry one baby and keep the other one in the front of the cart! Easy as pie. We drove all the way back to Costco, suited up for the task ahead and did what we needed to do. The babies were good until we were in the line to pay and then both started crying at the same time. And they kept crying as I ordered a pepperoni pizza for dinner. They cried a bit more while we took all our purchases out to the car and picked up the formula the babies can't drink anymore so I could return it. They cried and fussed in the returns line and then fussed a bit more while we waited for the pizza to be done. But we got back out to the car with everyone in one piece and I felt like the adventure had gone as well as could be expected, considering it was totally unnecessary for me to inflict that upon myself.
As I was driving away, I happened to look down in my purse and see the three coupons, still sitting there. "NO!" I yelled. When S asked what was the matter, I told her I had forgotten to use the coupons. She said, "Oh, no! Well, at least we got the pizza."
Indeed. Phew!
Wednesday, September 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
you are bananas! i think the adventure became less about the coupons and more about proving to yourself you could do it. rare are the days that i venture out with both my boys---you are a brave soul. and you're alive so that's good, right?
I do that stuff ALL the time! I'll plan a whole trip to Costco just around the coupons and then leave them at home when I go. Of course, I don't have 5 kids to blame it on, so I think your story wins out a little. But I do feel your pain ;).
Oh you make me laugh. I was totally with you through that whole story. Couldn't believe you went back home to get the snugli but I'm with you on the whole idea that when I want it done, I will get it done! ...I just can't believe you did ALL of that, had pizza and did it with 5 kids under the age of 7! So sad you forgot your coupons...I feel for you!!!
You put me to shame. My boys are 7.5 months old and I still haven't taken both of them to Costco with me... let alone by myself. I'm a total chicken. You've inspired me and I might just try it tonight!! But I love S's comment... sometimes the wisdom of a 7 year old makes you feel better.
This is a fabulous story and i'm so glad you shared. If it makes you feel any better, I have totally forgotten coupons I go out of the way to use too! Proud of you for doing an errand with all the kids, there's gotta be a first time!
You are a brave soul!!! Man, I have a hard time with 3! You are super woman!!!
It must be hereditary. I can totally see myself doing the same thing (aside from my 5 being single births). I'm sure I have done very similarly crazy and arguably unnecessary things far too frequently to mention. I usually forget to bring Costco coupons, so I prey upon the mercy of the clerk to just use the ones they have for my benefit (maybe I wouldn't engender as much sympathy in Utah Co as I do here, maybe the clerks are just nicer, maybe I look more insane than you do.)
Hahaha! I know what you mean about wanting to get something done on YOUR time. When Caleb was 2 months old I decided that I had to get some new clothes one day. I had to go that day. It didn't matter that I just had chemo the day before. I packed up my boy and went shopping. I think someone else said it right; you had to prove to yourself that you could do it. And you did!
Post a Comment