Monday, December 15, 2008

There is that one thing

Ok, I thought of one thing that I don't like about this time of year. But it's not the season's fault. It's mine.

Every year, I bake treats for friends, neighbors, visiting teaching families, and home teaching families. There's the baking, the wrapping, the card-writing, and of course, the dropping off. On some level, I do it because I want to. I want to show my love and friendship for others at this time of year. But a small part of me might do it just because everyone else does. (Did I just admit that?)

A few weeks ago, I started thinking about "the list" (of who gets treats) and after much deliberation, I've decided not to do treats at all.

I could pretend it's because I want to get away from all the commercialism at Christmas--you know, really be one with the season. But really, it's because I'm lazy. The mere thought of all that baking and preparing just about sent me over the edge so I decided it wasn't worth it. Unfortunately, my guilt might decide for me. When I went visiting teaching last week and handed her just a card (because I couldn't go completely empty-handed!!!) I of course felt the need to explain why. But, I really doubt she even thought twice about it. When neighbors bring over treats, I immediately think, "Better make sure they're on the list." And then I remember there is no list. I'm starting to feel like Luther Krank in Skipping Christmas...

So, this is a message to my neighbors, friends, and loved ones. If you don't receive a Christmas treat from us this year (and you won't, because no one will) please don't think less of us. We love all of you very much, and we're so grateful to have such wonderful people in our lives. But this mom's taking a year off from it all... or maybe two or three years (I'll assess my guilt to increased sanity ratio at the end of December before I decide about next year).

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a smart mommy! and anyone who would think less of you needs to go out and buy themselves some Oreo's.

Anne said...

i am skipping the treats this year, too. and i feel good about it. maybe next year.

Anonymous said...

I am with you! i bagged the whole thign this year. I was so proud of myself for getting all my cards out and presents done early so I wouldn't feel stressed but it didn't work. I still feel stressed and grouchy and treats are one more thing I just don't have to do. and it feels so good not to do it! Heather

Angie said...

Chad got up in church a few weeks ago and counseled, in the strongest words he could manage from the pulpit that instead of giving neighor treats and friend treats out of duty, obligation, habit, guilt or whatever, that instead we prayerfully determine what the best use of all our resources (time money, etc) is this year and do that. If it's sharing some time and treats with a neighbor, sub for santa, cocooning and just trying to keep it together for our own family, so be it. It was such a good thing to be able to let go of that social obligation. I was still goint to make cranberry cakes for my VT families this week, but I have been able to let go of that as well, well sort of. I'm going with some Great Harvest bread and jam I made in August, mainly because most of the sisters I teach are struggling with something and I want them to feel nurtured at Christmas. There will always be people who are frustrated with how you commemorate the holidays and whether or not they make whatever list they perceive you keep. But that tells you more about those people and their true place in your life than even they meant to share. You are a prayerful and wise mommy and Lauriej is right, anyone that thinks less of you for making the best decision for you and yours needs to go buy themselves some Oreos!

kingwritergirl said...

Good for you! I'm so not doing them either... yes I'm donating the whole food thing, but I'll be honest, it is so much easier to not do them. But whenever someone drops something off at my house I do feel a little guilty. But I think this neighborhood knows that we all love each other without having to spend so much time and money showing it! (Dont' get me wrong, Ilove the giffts I have received, but I know that other's love me too without dropping something off!)

Sabine Berlin said...

I still am questioning why we only do treats at Christmas? Why not do them around the year and split the list up (If you really want to do them). I would love tree shaped cookies on say Arbor day, or Stars for President's day. But alas, I am not doing anything this year either, so don't feel bad!

Gail said...

We had decided not to do neighbor gifts this year also. The cost and time involved is just too much. The list grows every year and i just can not keep up. Thanks for making me feel better about our decision.

Shea said...

I'm so with you this year. We'll be lucky if we can get our card out.