Sunday, March 8, 2009

Dear Mr. President,

First things first: I'm not going to pretend that I voted for you, or that I'm even remotely pleased with the job you're doing so far. I didn't, and I'm not. But that doesn't mean I can't ask for a tiny favor, right? Glad we can finally agree on something!

Daylight savings—it kind of stinks, doesn't it? I mean, when I was a teenager, that extra hour of sleep in the Fall came in handy, but nobody likes "Spring Forward", do they? And now with kids, it's all bad because their little internal alarm clocks don't know that they're not supposed to go off at the normal time. The kids just get up as usual, whenever their little eyes pop open. Every March and November, everyone in the house is tired and cranky for at least a week until their bodies adjust. And with five children, I really don't need more crankiness in my life.

And really, I don't understand the whole thing, Mr. President. It's you that decides when it happens, right? Is it for the farmers? Or maybe so we can have more daylight in the summer for BBQs and baseball games? I'm all for fun during summer evenings, but frankly, I value sleep more.

If you're not able to do away with it entirely, I understand. But, is it ok if my family and I just opt out? Arizona does... so, if it's all the same to you, I think we'll just pretend we live in Arizona, ok?

Thanks for reading,



P.S. Please stop spending my grandchildren's money.

5 comments:

Angie said...

Since my children wake with the sun, daylight savings time gives me a week or so reprieve before it's too light too early again and I love it (but otherwise there is no net good effect so, who knows if it helps anyone else out there for longer than a week). But as for pretending to be AZ, that's too confusing even for Arizonans. When people from there call here, they can never remember when they're ahead of us, behind us or the same as us and we end up just comparing clocks. Really, it's just a mess. And, it's not Obama that really controls it, it's Congress and they just gave us MORE DST, so you can imagine how far your request will go with them. Indinana doesn't do DST either. Maybe you can pretend to be in Indiana?

Monica said...

I agree ..the whole thing is a big mess!! Are we the only country in the world that has their government decide what time it is where?...just curious

Michelle C. said...

I couldn't resist commenting. You totally crack me up. My kids slept until 9 am, thank heavens. Luckily there was no school. Good luck this week.

Gail said...

I am laughing so hard. I think Utah should opt out. As my mom always said "It never hurts to ask" so good luck and you have my support.

Jen I said...

Yeah, before I had kids, I never knew there was this whole disastrous bi-annual event that is hated by parents all over the country. I'll admit though, spring forward has been kind to us this year. The kids just sleep late, although I haven't been able to get them to bed earlier yet. But fall just sucks. When you were childless it was great because you got an extra hour of sleep. But now, you go to bed later but your kids wake up earlier. Totally screwed over.