
Growing up, my mom bought Girl Scout cookies every year. (I was a Brownie myself in first grade, but never advanced beyond that). Her favorites were Thin Mints. I quickly fell in love with the caramel coconuty goodness of Samoas, all the while cursing that there were only 15 in each box. C'mon, 15?!
It's been years since I've had Girl Scout cookies. I've had a few Thin Mints here and there, maybe, but I don't think I've ever bought a box as an adult. As a self-professed cheapskate, I could never seem to get past the price tag.
Last week, my mother-in-law came over to watch the older kids and very nonchalantly handed me two boxes—one box of Trefoils and one box of Samoas. "They were selling these at the grocery store, so I got you a few boxes."
I think she may have been a bit disturbed by how I began lovingly caressing the Samoas box."It's been years since I had these!"
I ate my first cookie. Heaven. Pure heaven.
The kids asked for one. No.
A had a few. "I don't love them as much as you do, but they're all right." Then why are you taking three of them?!!
I savored every last one.
Oh, sweet samoas. How you've been missed.

P.S. Yesterday, I found a recipe online to make my own samoas. Hurray!

7 comments:
Yea...we still buy them every year because we love them so much. I will say we were quite stingy in the sharing department too. My kids got maybe one in each box if that. T got pretty upset when he realized all the girl scout cookies were gone and he only got one. Silly boy, he is lucky he got one!
Samoas are my fav, too. I expect to see a homemade Samoa this week at my door. Thanks!
I love Samoas! I am going to try your recipe soon. Thanks!!
That is such a B thing to do - eat without caring one way or the other. I'm always wondering why he bothers - if I am ho-hum about something, I don't eat it. Save the calories for those of us that savor every last morsel! :)
Samoas are delicious. A few years back I had a craving for them and since I hadn't seen any Girl Scouts selling them in my neighborhood, I sent an email to the list serv hunting them down. Totally worth the temporary embarrassment of sending that message!
Yeah, last time I bought some the girl called and left a message telling me my 10 boxes were in. WOAH. I bought 10 boxes? I must have been hungry. Or remembering how fast they go.
I want that recipe. I was always a thin mints girl and somehow only managed to discover Samoas a few years ago, but I am hooked.
Post a Comment