Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Play with my children!

Things are still going well for the kids at their new school. However, I must confess some conflicted feelings on my part. When I drop them off in the morning, I try to train H to find his class door, so that he'll be able to find it on his own. He's getting better at finding the door, but he always looks back at me like, "Are you sure about this, Mom?" I know his hesitation is probably because it's a new situation and also because he only knows a few kids so far. But part of me wants to take him by the hand, go in there with him, and make those kids like my wonderful son!

Yesterday when I picked the kids up, I asked S who she played with at recess. "No one." What?! I was all worried about it, but she said it wasn't a big deal, and she even laughed about it. I did ask her the names of girls that look like they might be fun. When she rattled off a few names, I suggested she go up to those girls and ask if they wanted to play at recess. The thought of doing that even as an adult is scary (well, obviously not playing at recess, but you get what I mean) but I hope that she'll be able to do it.

I know she's feeling shy about just walking up to people she doesn't know (and with the way some girls act these days, I don't blame her), but once again, my mother bear instincts kicked in and I wanted to fix it all for her... to fast forward a few months and have both kids happy, adjusted to their new school, and firmly in the middle of a group of a friends. But alas, I guess I have to let my kids learn on their own sometimes!

4 comments:

Monica said...

Can I say again that all of this makes me sick to my stomach and makes me not want to move which we will have to do next year!

Good Luck H and S !

LJABC and D said...

Moving is so hard. I am so sorry and I know they will make friends soon!!!

Sabine Berlin said...

It will come. We have no kids in our neighborhood (well teenagers) and it has been hard for the girls and L, but M has made a good friend and even though I have to drive to playdates it is good. For C it is harder, she is playing with friends now at school, but she is still a little young to do playdates with school friends that live far away. As for L he finally got invited to a joy school in the area, so I think he will make some friends. It is tough, but we are getting the hang of it. It sounds as if your neighborhood has more kids, so once you move it will be all good. Plus, who wouldn't want to play with S? She is a doll!

Anonymous said...

Fast forward to junior high, where cliques reign supreme and your kid is trying to find his way out of a nearly-monogamous friendship with an 8th grader and into a circle of friends his own age... I feel your pain, oh boy do I feel it. I hope S and H close the gap soon -- for YOUR sake as well as theirs!