Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Where everybody knows your name

When I moved into my current ward three and a half years ago, like with any new situation, I didn't feel "a part of things" for a while. I felt kind of sad about it, wishing I had good friends in the ward and knowing it was partly my fault for not being more outgoing. But still I did nothing about it. Until that September when the ward started a book club. It wasn't a stretch for me to sign up since I'm fairly fanatical about reading. I've always loved to read, ever since I taught myself how (true story). I was a little bit nervous to go to the first book club night, but it turned out to be one of the best things I've ever done. I feel like I've truly found a wonderful group of friends there. A lot of us are moms with young kids but we do have a mix of different life circumstances, which is always nice. We've read fiction, non-fiction, children's books, and essays. We've shared a multitude of treats and probably gained a lot of weight together. And we've shared the ups and downs of life together and commiserated over the woes of raising kids.

I went to book club tonight and we discussed The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. It's about a girl living in Nazi Germany who steals books. It's all about how words shape and change our perceptions. I loved the book and I love the book club ladies. Thanks for another great evening!

2 comments:

Jules said...

I'll have to check that book out! (after finishing my young adult read that is on hold for me at the library--Eclipse. Are you appalled?)

Tennille said...

Not appalled at all. I have to say--I really liked twilight, enjoyed new moon, but eclipse was not my favorite of the three. But, other people I know loved it the best. Let me know what you think!