Thursday, June 26, 2008

We are the lucky ones

Last night, I had a bit of a breakdown. We're finally potty training the T-man. If you were thinking that potty training a toddler when you're almost 35 weeks pregnant with twins would be a good idea, you would be very wrong. In our defense, we've been trying for months, but this kid has been so stubborn, so contrary, and so totally against the idea that we didn't want to push it too much. Finally, we told him that when the diapers were gone, they were gone for good. We started off on Tuesday morning, and really, it's going just fine. But my patience level for wet underwear, wet shorts, wet carpet, and poopy underwear is just not all that high right now.

After cleaning up the second poopy underwear of the day right before dinner, I kind of lost it. I didn't freak out or yell, but I really, really wanted to run away. I threw dinner together, ate it, and told my husband I needed to take a drive. Of course, I went to the grocery store to get myself treats. :)

On the way there, I cried and generally felt sorry for myself. No real reason to be so sad, although I have been getting even less sleep than normal lately, which can't be good. And I'm just getting tired of being tired, tired of being in pain, and tired of this huge belly that makes doing anything at all very difficult.

I bought my treats (donuts and chocolate milk, of course) and a few other random things we needed, and found a cashier line to wait in. Then, a little girl walked right up to me and asked me what I was having, boy or girl. When I told her it was twins, she got this look of wonder on her face and said, "You are so lucky! My mom has never had twins." I mumbled something in reply, and hoped she would move soon, since she was a mere three inches away from my belly and it was kind of freaking me out.

Walking out to the car, I cried again. Not a sad cry this time, but because I realized just how lucky we are. Yes, we're a bit embarrassed by our fertility, but it's still wonderful that we get to have twins--and one of each at that. So many people pay thousands of dollars for a chance to have a baby, and we've been blessed with so much. And even though I enjoy very little about being pregnant, my body seems to be made for it. The doctor today was going on and on about how well I'm doing and how the babies are thriving in there.

So, I'm still sore and cranky, and nervous about what the future holds, but I'm going to try a little harder to remember just how lucky we are.

5 comments:

kingwritergirl said...

You have such an awesome attitude! It's good to hear that I'm not the only one who wants to run away, or who finds solace in chocolate milk and doughnuts. Way to be such a great example to everyone! I admire you so much!

J Glazier said...

It's Sooo nice to know that I'm not the only one who has small breakdowns in the car on the way to the grocery store for treats :) I've been thinking about you and I think you look AWESOME!!! You don't have a puffy face, arms or anything like I get.
Hang In There!

Jules said...

Ahh, potty training, just think, when it's all over--no more man poop. And what is it about little boys? They poop more than a grown woman (sorry, that's all I can compare it too). Good luck! Wanna share some doughnuts?

Melanie said...

I think you are awesome. It's hard to potty train even when you aren't 35 weeks pregnant with Twins! I think the brake down is way past due. I would have had it about 10 weeks ago. Hang in there.

Sabine Berlin said...

Good luck with the potty training. If you find something that works pleeeeaaasee let me know!