Yep, you read that right. One of my favorite recipes for Fall is an apple pie that you bake in a paper bag. Our family got the recipe from another family growing up and I've made it for friends and family for years. The thing I love most about it is that there's no rolling out of dough whatsoever. I love baking, but I am not the best at making things pretty. So this recipe is perfect for me. Plus, it's the best apple pie I've ever tasted.
Crust
1 1/2 C flour
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 C vegetable oil
2 tbl. cold milk
Combine all ingredients and mix until well-blended. Pat into bottom and sides of nine-inch pie pan. Do not roll out.
Filling
4 C apples, peeled and sliced
1/3 C sugar
2 tbl. flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
Combine dry ingredients and then toss lightly with apples. Pour into unbaked pie crust.
Topping
1/2 C flour
1/2 C soft butter
1/2 C sugar
Combine ingredients and mix until crumbly. (My butter is usually soft enough that it doesn't really become crumbly, usually just in pieces.) Sprinkle over top of pie. Place pie in brown paper bag and staple the bag closed.
Bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours. Be forewarned: It will smell a little funny. After all, it is a paper bag! But as long as the bag isn't touching the heat element in your oven, it should be just fine. Move the rack down a little if necessary before baking.
Enjoy!!
Sunday, October 21, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
if there is an odd smell, do you still get the good apple pie smell too?
Sort of. Probably not as strong without the bag, but the taste of the pie itself more than makes up for it.
Hey, I'm glad I finally found you! That recipe sounds yummy, I'm going to have to give it a try.
What's all this crazy talk about baking inside a bag??
Hmmm I might have to try this. Sound yummmmmy!
Post a Comment